Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Everything you ever wanted to ask ASK about SKiN: The Book & Script. #13

Chicago, IL USA:

This morning as I was working on a Book Project at Staples, Shawn McDonald their manager asked me about what I thought of the US Senator and the IL Governor and their televised opinions on Race. Knowing I had written the Book & Screenplay:

SKiN: Sacred Kinship in Nature ™
How 10 Beloved Plush Toys Redefine Race ©2009

he knew I had a valid opinion on the Topic. Shawn had asked me if I had ever heard of the term: WHITE PRIVILEGE and being a sociology manager 'back in the days' the term was familiar to me. He then told me a story of visiting a Donut Shop on the South Side of Chicago, a predominantly Black Neighborhood where he said he 'feared for his life.' Traveling through with some friends to go to a party, they stopped in and were surprised that the counter was protected by bullet-proof glass and the transaction was on a turntable -- evidently, just trying to make a living even in a Black Hood is precarious. Sad, but true.

However, as we then discussed, I told him of the Segregation I felt when I traveled to Thailand in August of 1979 - and how 3rd and 4th world countries are suffering; even if not shaken by a major Earthquake as Haiti had been hit yesterday. A Life of Privilege doesn't happen for many...

But as we chatted, I asked Shawn: Is there Prejudice vs. Privilege in a Black Monarchy -- in a country run where the majority is not White. Needless to say, this is a conversation that is being held across the USA...in office supply stores as well as in schools and other such places where People are curious to know about the SKiNS we are born in...


CLOSING: Please stay tuned for another Segment of defining SKiN ©2009 tomorrow, which will be a Month-long Blog Series of KOOPERSMITHin'® celebrating the First Year Anniversary of the Composition of this Book and Movie Script.

Quote of ASK: Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith
Author: SKiN: Sacred Kinship in Nature (TM)
How 10 Beloved Plush Toys Redefine Race ©2009
askoopersmith(at)hotmail(dot)com

Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:40 AM

No comments: