Monday, September 10, 2012

The Destruction of the American Dream: The Story behind ‘The Story’ and all you need to do is ‘just ASK.’


SUBJECT MATTER:  What occurs when greedy Literary Thieves and Serial Copyright Infringers steal from popular Writers.  A Story of Despair. A Story of Hope. How a Series of Events spiral out of control. 

RE:  How the Smithe Brothers of Smithe Brothers Furniture & Design and Skip Haynes, songwriter of the hit single: ‘Lake Shore Drive’ killed Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith’s ‘American Dream.’

Dateline:  Monday, September 10, 2012

Chicago, IL USA: 

Some Stories need to be told.  This is one of them.

Today, I’m broke and ‘nearly’ evicted from the home I’ve lived in since 1990.  As a creative writer, I’m known as:

‘America’s Premier Eventologist’

by Gene Koprowski  of Insight Magazine (Washington, DC) – August, 1997

&

‘The Premier Eventologist in the History of the World’

by Eric Zorn of The Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) -  January, 2001

 

I can tell you that an ‘Eventologist’s’ work is never done.  I’ve worked non-stop the last hardest for 21 years to introduce this new Literary Genre to the world called:

Eventology

The Art of Event-Making

Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith’s Campaigns For Humanity ©1990.

 

In this exciting group of 1,900 Events that span 34 categories (imagine Aesop Fables being combined with a date in fleeting  time in which the Celebration can really accelerate and encompass all peoples), there are goodwill, humanitarian, altruistic, educational, recreational, spiritual, fun-time and fun-type HOLIDATES to commemorate.  Since 1979, I’ve spearheaded my own PRAM: Public Relations-Advertising-Marketing biz. Before that, while in high school as a senior, I’d help rock bands with their promotionals. With all of this experience gathered, I’m happy to say I’ve succeeded in obtaining exposure for them and myself as well, helping to establish them and making their dreams come true.   So much so that ‘others’ see my Works/Words and ‘steal’ and claim them as their own Works, Words, Visions.  Later, these literary thieves produce them and happily ‘speed down’ Lake Shore Drive to the nearest bank, leaving me high and dry without a penny to my name.  This is criminal.  This is known as Copyright Infringement.

“Succeeded” (whose root word stems from ‘Success’) is the key word here. Skip Hayes & Walter E., Timothy J. and Mark Smithe have succeeded on the ultimate abuse & misuse (dishonesty and thievery) of what can happen to Modern Literature.  And, it is my Material that has been destroyed, leaving me without a cent:  no food; no lights and nowhere to go and no one to turn to.  

This is how a person ends up on the streets.  It can become the Beginning of ‘The End’ if action is not appropriately taken.  This Missive is that action in order to call attention to this Story and bring it into the spotlight so justice is gained and served.  And, an incredible Story is relayed due to it and a Valuable Lesson is learned. 

‘What happened to team work?’ is what you may be asking?  As part of who we Americans should be, there is a fraction of us who are now labeled as Greedy Americans who are ‘in it’ only for themselves.  With this note, I’d like to point out to you that they are not only of this low caliber, but consummate Destroyers of ‘The Arts’ – my American Dream and the Legacy of what a new Holidate (a written and copyrighted Creation) means in the Life of the tens of 1000s of people I’ve touched since Wednesday, July 25, 1990 at 9:45 PM when I began working so diligently and so hard to create, develop and promote these Stories – Stories that others enjoy,  but have now left me as a desperate, hurt and disillusioned American writer.  

And because of my Writings, others are prospering while I’m alone, dismantling and packing my 56 Xerox boxes full of broken dreams without a new place to go to; no credit established; no car to transport me and no one to help. At times, I feel so overwhelmed.  Not even any bubble-wrap.  Yes, it’s good to keep a sense of humor in times like these.  It somehow helps.

ENTER:  The ‘others’ by  name who have ripped me off and have left me in this horrific situation, namely Walter E., Timothy J. and Mark Smithe of Itasca, IL (known for their NBC TV Commercials) and Skip Haynes, songwriter of the evergreen hit tune,  Lake Shore Drive who resides in Los Angeles. 

We’ll address the Smithe Brothers first who were mailed a National Smith Day ©1995 press kit  4 years ago asking them if they wanted to hire me to ‘carry out the event’ for their 11 showrooms.  National Smith Day ©1995 is deemed as one of my top 16 Holidates to celebrate, established in 1995 that was also found in Chase’s Calendar of Events, the primo Event-Planning Directory since 1957. This is the purpose of Eventology.  It’s my means to make a living.  The Smithe Brothers never responded to my package; but on January 6 (2012), the start of National Smith Day ©1995, the Smithe Brothers had produced a TV commercial that aired for four full days on NBC, WMAQ Channel 5, who did not check their facts as to who the rightful creator/originator of this holidate was.  A 15-second Google search shows that person is me.  Rhesus monkeys could have found that info out.  After all, part of my job as a promoter and avid social networker, blogger and twitter enthusiast is to let people know what I’ve created as a writer.  Face it:   TV audience members are savvy today and wish to know who stands behind a great commercial. 

That 4-day long airing netted the Smithe Brothers additional revenues for the 11 showrooms, secured them new customers (especially after the Christmas Selling Season had passed) as well as ‘making them look cool’ – all on my BST:  Brilliance / Skill / Talent that they negated to acknowledge, accredit, gain permission and, of course, pay and compensate me  for its usage. 

But don’t worry, folks.  My writing gene kicked in full force and I have everything fully authoritated, documented and written out. I even visited one of their showrooms and collected ‘the evidence’ – both on and off-line.  If and when I ever get back on my feet again, it will make for a ‘stunning book’, revelation and exposé on what happens to one of my most favorite Holidates – spawning its own Story – a chapter that touches 3.2 million Smiths in America alone.

I’m not done yet.  Please continue:  There’s only 3,149 more Words to go:   

The second Copyright Infringement Case again concerned the Smithe Brothers.  Having worked with 40 of Chicago’s top rocks bands since 1979 to 1992, and being the first woman from Chicago to take her bands ‘tapes’ (yes, tapes!) to Tom Silverman’s New Music Seminar from 1984-1988 in NYC, I firmly and always believed in promoting local Talent.  During this time, the song, LAKE SHORE DRIVE by Skip Haynes became legendary and used more than any other in jingles across the area.  To me, there was no doubt about it (via the eyes of a creatif, i.e.: me) that ‘LSD’ (as it is nicknamed) needed to become Chicago’s official anthem.  

THEN MOTHER NATURE SET IN and YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN ‘SHE’ ENTERS THE PICTURE:  Some call it ‘Fate.’  The Great Blizzard of 2011 struck Chicago in February, leaving nearly 5 feet of snow in my backyard alone.  Haynes (who had moved to Los Angeles years previously)heard our weather report and immediately seized the opportunity to  rewrite the song to ‘Snowed on Lake Shore Drive’ and succeeded in getting a Page 2-3 article in The Chicago Sun-Times that I spotted, read and then subsequently contacted him via his website. This was to turn into am 8-month long email relationship in which I would feed him ‘ideas’ hoping to retain him as a client for my promo business.  During this period, I told Skip that he really should again rewrite ‘LSD’ to reflect it as Chicago’s Anthem.  Once heard, he instantly loved that suggestion; immediately did that; sent me a copy via email and even sent one (per my suggestion again) to our newly appointed Mayor, Rahm Emanuel for his consideration at City Hall.

2011 marked the 40TH year anniversary of Lake Shore Drive (the song) and being a promoter with clever, cutting edge angles (always in the forefront of my mind), I instantly thought that the tune should be celebrated across Chicagoland by its people and visitors/tourists/conventioneers and turned into a TV commercial.  However, Haynes lived in California for years; did not know ‘The Scene’ with its latest movers and shakers and didn’t know who or how to contact them or realize what the area’s  ‘Buzz’ was.  Again, I was there to help.   I then suggested and provided him with not only the suggestive Idea, but the contacts, the ‘personality profiles,’ address, phone number and wrote the scripts (reflecting their general characters) for him to submit a proposal to the Smithe Brothers (yes, the same ones who 5 months later would rip off my National Smith Day ©1995 and use it as their own). 


Little did I know that my world would quickly begin to unravel. 

Feeling The Smithe Brothers would have fun zooming down Lake Shore Drive with the song, Lake Shore Drive playing on their car’s radio while commemorating its 40-41ST year Birthday – a Milestone in Music – which, by the way, coincidentally is the Number of the Interstate – Lake Shore Drive being Interstate 41 – unbeknown to most people, it was me and me alone who was the Catalyst - Trigger – Liaison – that joined and connected Skip Haynes (of Los Angeles) and the Smithe Brothers (of Chicago – Itasca, IL), separated by 2000 miles. 

Furthermore, I was the one who provided the creative material that they used to produce their most popular and highest viewed TV commercial yet. Highly viewed commercials also equate to Sales.  ‘Sales’ (collectively) is money in their bank account, not mine.

Yes, this commercial was such a show-stopper it was aired for Memorial Day; Independence Day and Labor Day Weekends.  It was on 1 of the 3 top American broadcasting stations, NBC for a total of (some) 29 days of prime air time. 

That is indeed a first for TV broadcasting in the Midwest, all due to my visions.  I would guess they plan to run it again next summer in the same 3-holiday format.   Think of all those royalties Skip has been collecting since May and the web and Facebook hits he has been receiving. 

The Smithe Brothers and Haynes’ websites appeared  on these commercials that aired for a  total of 29 days, netting them additional revenues/profits, sales, exposure in 4 Midwestern states and the idea that the general public (audience who caught the TV commercial) thought they created this production when it was really again all based on my BST:  Brilliance, Skill & Talent.  Some call that Blood, Sweat and Tears.  I can relate to both. 

Every suggestion I gave to Haynes from February through September of 2011, he ran with.  The bottom line remains:  This grandiose Commercial would never have occurred had it not been for me as the Smithe Brothers’ rendition of my National Smith Day ©1995 Commercial would never have happened had it not been for me.

PART 2:

And today, I’m sitting at 5:03 AM on the back step of my apartment at 1437 West Rosemont in the dark, although a crescent moon and clusters of stars are high overhead. Luckily, my neighbor’s (to my west) galley light is shining a shadow that helps tremendously in getting my Story out to you about: 

How corporate Americans destroy the Writer’s Dream.

Let’s rephrase that to: 

How corporate Americans destroy the Writer’s Dream

and may virtually leave us HOMELESS

after tirelessly working on a Literary Genre for 21 years – or one-third of my life to date.

 

I’m sitting alone in the dark because my electricity (lights) was turned off on June 1.  I thought that by giving and sharing the LSD TV commercial while connecting Haynes to the Smithe Brothers, a partnership would develop based on Teamwork.  Everyone would ‘come to the table’ with something:

I conceptualized; wrote; introduced and (would) promote the TV commercial;

Skip had scored the sound track – the tune LSD that is now 41 years old; and

The Smithe Brothers provided the production and starred in the TV commercial.

However, it did not work out that way.  Ironically, the Smithe Brothers promote themselves as being a family-run and operated business since 1945.

Silly, silly me thought they would appreciate someone coming out of ‘the blue’ with such a dynamic money-making commercial.  Silly, silly me automatically assumed they would appreciate the Creativity and Efforts (as well as time and writings) I made to make this happen for them.  If I had not introduced them and created this TV commercial (of which NBC did not check their facts as to who created and was responsible for it), sales and exposure in selling more Lake Shore Drive – Skip Haynes’ products and ‘trucks’ full of Smithe Brothers furniture would never have transpired, especially in this slow, sluggish economy where so many people are losing their homes to foreclosure than buying furniture to beautify and enhance their surroundings.   

Yes, although I may be alone in the dark, I must say that this is one heck-of-a-story to tell you about.  As a natural born writer, there are lots of genres that we writers can tackle.  My top 5, of course, are:

Creative Writing,

The Introduction of Eventology into Popular & Contemporary Literature,

Kids Stories,

Movie Scripts concerning Toys, and

Promotions.   What I call:  PRAM: Public Relations – Advertising – Marketing that promote all of the above and others whose Works/Words I feel are beneficial for ‘Society & Civilization’ to ‘succeed.’ 

This is what gets me up each morning, bright and early, eager to start my Day.  I’m happy to say I am quite adept at it all.  After all, I enjoy and am passionate about what I write and I want others to know that it exists.  My words may affect them. It may make their ‘day.’  Something I said may make them smile.   It may shed a light, even as far away as a glittering star while seated on a step on my back porch, thinking thoughts that could change a life, possibly for the better.  This is the reason why (most) writers write. 

By the way:  Do you need a contact?  I promise to find it for you in 5 minutes or less!  In my heyday, because of my writings, I’m happy to say that I’ve been featured in the following circuits:

USA Today, The New York Times, The Washington Post, Insight Magazine, The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Sun-Times, ESPN: The Magazine; Fast Company, Redbook, More Magazine, Woman’s World, Sports Illustrated For Kids, Village Voice, Nickelodeon, The Times Picayune, The Gainesville Sun, The Springfield News-Leader, Dave Egger’s Might Magazine, The Milwaukee-Journal-Sentinel, The Detroit Free Press, The Daily Herald, The Fort Worth Star-Telegram, The Atlanta Journal Constitution, The Advocate/Greenwich Time, The San Antonio Express, The Dallas Morning News, Skyline, The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Home Cooking, Cooking Light, Chase’s Calendar of Events, The Daily Northwestern, Popular Photography and Imaging, Shutterbug, Kennedy’s Confection (London, England), Eric Cohen Books (Israel) and an Estonian Newspaper as well as an endless Assortment of Websites, Blogs, Facebook Postings, ‘Tweets’ on  Twitter and employing other popular Social Networks. Besides being the Guest on over 3,000 Radio Interviews (including The Voice of America since 1990), ABC, NBC, CBS & MSNBC Television Networks have also featured me for my Creation of these EVENTOLOGICAL Works.

 

But times have changed and the Copyright Infringement Issue(s) involving Skip Haynes and the Smithe Brothers have me living at sub-poverty levels, with nowhere to turn to except the Media – The Press who may see this as a great human interest Story, the Story behind ‘the Scene’ – the Story behind ‘The Story’ of what appears on TV.  The Story behind what seems so glamorous and exciting – found on TV as 3 middle aged men zoom down Lake Shore Drive in the Batmobile and another souped-up sports car on a gorgeous Chicago Summer day while its creator/liaison sits on a wooden stoop in darkness with a $92 month ($3 a day) Link (Food Stamp Card) in her back pocket. Oh, by the way, to rent the Batmobile – it’s about $4,000 a day.  Go figure…

HOWEVER:  I’m a fighter.

I’m determined. 

I’m also a Leo and even though my frame is only 5 ft. 3 with a BMI of 19.6, with the Truth behind me; the facts and my Story here at hand, I’ll ‘SUCCEED in getting the justice I deserve.  T hat’s a given. 

‘Writers of the Truth’ have that on their side. 

If it means blemishing the History of one of Chicago’s top tunes, so be it!

If it means closing down furniture showrooms, so be it!

Never once did The Smithe Brothers and Skip Haynes ever consider  me (in their windfall); however, I’m here to tell and inform other writers – authors – artists – creatifs (who are being ripped off and screwed over every day) in order to feather their ‘nests and beds’ – we could say – that they must protect their rights.   Let me repeat that:

YOU must protect your ‘writes’ – no matter what your Art-of-Choice is.

And, even if you do protect your Creations, as I had, Literary Thieves are ‘out there’ to steal your material – the fruits of your imagination.    

That’s why you’ve received this VIM:  Very Important  Message today.  Let this ‘Lecture’ serve as a notice that Greedy Corporate Americans are as near as your TV tube and PC/MAC Screen and may live next door.  Hiding under the premise of the ‘Mr. Nice Guy’ label, they will get their day in court.

Which is now the next key word in this Story:  Court.

SEGUE:  Yes, I did obtain legal counsel for my 2 cases here in August (on my 60TH Birthday at that) although this ‘fiasco’ began on in September of 2011 with Haynes running with my LSD/Smithe Brothers NBC TV commercial.  It took me that extended period of time to locate an attorney who would consider my case on a pro bono bases.  Poor people (popularly termed as ‘Starving Artists’) cannot pay an attorney’s fees, even if the crime is the juiciest in Literary History.  This Story (my Story here) develops on its own every day. 

I met with a Chicago-based attorney who saw the merit in my case(s). He pointed out to me (as well)  that the agreement Haynes had sent me would have to be honored, although Skip chose to cut me off entirely as of September 25, 2011.  Nevertheless, I have all the proof and paperwork.  It’s the ‘secretary’ in me that is so good at keeping those important papers intact.  So much for this being the ‘Paperless Society’ it was touted to be!

However, tragedy struck.  Horrific news that still leaves me nearly paralyzed in grief.  And, I can barely write this out to tell you, but my Attorney (age 43 – a beloved husband and father) that I met only once on August 17TH was killed in a car crash in late August, leaving a lovely wife and young son.  I don’t know if his crash was on Lake Shore Drive.  I only know that his family, friends and co-workers are devastated besides those he was representing (as myself) who are now ‘on our own.’ 

PART 3: 

The dawn is rising now over my Edgewater neighborhood here on the far north side of Chicago.  I don’t know what the day will bring. This ‘Predawn’ News hopefully will tip-off the Media to my Story so that I can again get back up on my feet and be the productive Writer that I was meant to be.  Wasn’t Oprah the one who told us to ‘follow our Passion?’  That’s a great idea to pursue, but you definitely do not want your passion infringed upon. Plagiarized.  Misappropriated.  Pirated. Stolen. Converted.  Infringed upon.  All of the afore-mentioned.   In mid-January of 2012, there were 43 Intellectual Property Attorneys in Chicago according to AVVO.com. In mid-March of 2012, the number rose to 55.  On June 3, 2012, the number toddled and swelled to 1503.  Stealing Literature is Big Business here in the Windy City.      

My idea is to enjoy each day that my 1,900 Holidates bring; to be able to move and afford a nice new home; to continue my writings and promotions – now that I’m a fully seasoned 60 year old as of August 9, 2012, beaming in the knowledge and knowing that as my Friend RON RON from Tokyo states: 

“If I make it to 60 and have my work stolen and put on TV – be happy – it’ shows you are commercial and still got it!” 

As a Babyboomer, I hope to continue to tell my Stories and the Stories behind those Stories which take on a life of their own and which are so instrumental and important to the livelihood and continuance of  the Literature we read and the lives (just and truthful) we wish to lead.

CLOSING:  Yes, as the days get shorter and colder, I may very well be out on the streets, but I’ll continue to write my Story as these are ‘the Events’ that are behind ‘The Great American Literature’ of our Day – of our Times.  After all, what else is ‘America’s Premier Eventologist’ to do?  That’s my job.  It’s the basis of a Story that no Crime can erase or destroy.  We do have Commandments to live by and Virtues to extol.  The Three major pointers expressed here are: 

1)       The Truth prevails. 

2)      What goes around comes around. 

3)       No Crime goes unwarranted. Especially when you’re a Writer.  That’s always NEWS for Fodder. 

I remember quite vividly while speaking with Eric Zorn of The Chicago Tribune in January of 2001 (at a hip and trendy coffee shop on Thorndale & Winthrop) that he used the term:  “Food For Fodder” and I always felt my Holidates were ‘just that’ – if not more.  Indeed, they were, proving their commercial potential this year alone.  Being on NBC for 29 times this year looks good on a resumé, doesn’t it?  It certainly does if ACKNOWLEDGMENT, CREDIT and PAYMENT are rewarded to its rightful Creator.

 

On the September 9, 2012 cover of Parade Magazine, Ms. Katie Couric stated:  “Life is a series of reboots.’  Katie, I can thoroughly relate…I hope you make that into a bumper sticker.   If you run for the Presidency in 2016, it would make for an awesome motto.   

 

TO REITERATE:  Some Stories need to be told.  I just did mine.  Make sure this does not happen to you. 

This – all of this – is now part and parcel of the Skip Haynes (Lake Shore Drive) Story.

This – all of this – is now part and parcel of the Smithe Brothers’ Story. 

This – all of this – is now part and parcel of my National Smith Day ©1995’s Story.  This 4,222 Word Drama deals with how ‘the Spiral’ affects my Writings – my Art – my Craft – my Skills - my Livelihood -  my Future  - my Life  - that encompasses the Legacy of what I’m attempting to lay down as a New Literary Genre Literature called: 

“Eventology

The Art of Event-Making

Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith’s Campaigns for Humanity ©1990. 

After all, since the Earliest of Times when the Alphabet was first created, we have found that:

Stories mirror the Days of our Lives.

There’s nothing quite like them.”

 

Quote of ASK: Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith

Monday, September 10, 2012 – 6:24 AM;  12:32 & 12:47 PM CST

 

CONTACT INFO:  Please contact me if I can provide more info and insights to you about my dilemma.   I’d entertain the idea of a fundraiser; pay back any donations and grant Interviews to those outlets/stations/publications/sites who wish to cover and report on my Story – the Story of every Writer  (Author – Artist – Creatif) in the 21ST Century.   

Please help in whatever way you can.*

I’d like to see this portion of my Story have a ‘happy ending.’ 

Because I am living in the dark; am broke and only use public personal computers at area libraries to access the Internet and look for work, the following are the best means of how to contact me (besides sending a snail mail note to my Rosemont address also listed below):

 

Adrienne.Sioux.Koopersmith@gmail.com

847-890-1489 – REH’s Phone (for important calls)

847-448-0544 (my Voice Mail)

 

Thank you for your time in hearing about my Story. 

 

Sincerely,

ASK: Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith

Studio 1437

1437 West Rosemont – lW

Chicago – Illinois 60660-1319 USA

 

*Please help in whatever way you can.   

Money, of course, is at the top of the list, but I realize times are tough for many people (who, like me, are also out of work).  Sharing and sending this FB posting and/or email out to others you feel could ‘help’ would be so appreciated. If you know someone in the Media who needs a great Story that is not ‘politically’ motivated, this is it!  Feel free to share these Pages with your writers groups; synagogues, churches and schools.  I’m afraid to say, but it’s true that:  Copyright Infringement is here to stay.   Xerox boxes and (even) bubble wrap would help. 

 

NOTE:  This Story has been placed on my 2 blogs:  Book of Smith & Koopersmithin’ at:

http://adriennesiouxkoopersmith.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-destruction-of-american-dream-story.html

http://bookofsmith.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-destruction-of-american-dream-story.html#!/2012/09/the-destruction-of-american-dream-story.html

No comments: