SUBTITLE: Lasting Impressions in Shades of Red
Chicago, IL USA: This is my Second Bout with The Red Ball. Call it Intrigue. Call it Curiosity, the movable Sculpture is making its way around Chicago (no pun really intended) and making People talk, think and ponder about Things they ordinarily may not see on The Street...like for an instance: A 15 Foot, 250 pound Plastic Ball, squeezed into some of the most unlikely and tightest of places. How did they do that?
For those of you Readers who want to know something extra: It does fit. Chicago, "the City of Big Shoulders" has always 'had Balls' (gut and wisdom) to be the most creative, innovative and sometimes outrageous in whatever it undertakes and The RedBall Project, created by Artist Kurt Perschke and sponsored by Target Stores (who gives 5% of its income (back) to (the) communities (that their stores are in) - spend over $3,000,000 every week) is doing just that. Who says Entertainment can't be street-side and as compelling as if it were in a Museum, locked behind a hefty entrance fee?
This Month (thanks to Lois Weisberg and those at the Chicago Cultural Center), Chicago is the lucky Recipient of this Touring Entity who is more than 'seeing Red.'
GETTING PHILOSOPHICAL: Thinking is tantamount when you approach The Ball - or Sphere. Your Thoughts and those of others along with their Antics, make it an Event -- as well as Phenomena -- that draws People together immediately. And the Ball is a World Traveler, al-RED-y (no pun really intended this Time) being in Barcelona and Australia, to name a few of its global Stops.
TIME TO ASK:
Therefore, what would some of those Questions or Comments be if you were ball-side? I initially visited The RedBall Project when it was stationed in front of the monumental Spertus Museum on South Michigan on Wednesday, September 3 from 10-6. Today, let's approach the Ball from another angle and find out what others said or think (as well as some of my inner thoughts) -- things I'd have never 'thunk' up if not caught up in the RedBall Mania:
1. You either have a Love or Hate Relationship with 'The Sculpture.'
2. You wonder: Does The Red Ball glow in The Dark?
3. Will The Ball be substituted for the Crystal Ball that drops in Time Square/NYC when the New Year comes rolling on in...December 31, 2008 at 11:59 PM. This could be the start of something big...Let's call up Dick Clark &/or Anderson Cooper and see...
4. The Ball visited a really cool Restaurant, called Wishbone, across the Street from Harpo Studios. Many of TheLadies who visited Oprah's Taping with Tatum O'Neill lunched there afterwards. How many Celebrities can West Washington handle in a day's time? Bets are being placed at this very moment. Is 'West Wash' becoming the new Rodeo Drive of The Midwest? Will a new Target Store be moving into the hood soon?
5. After viewing The RedBall, other Red Balls of various proportions suddenly come to mind. The Red One Way Sign on Van Buren caught my eye; as did the Securitas Car -- whose logo was emblazed with 3 Horizontal Red Circles (flat, non-dimensional, but never-the-less, Red & Ballicular in Nature).
6. Crossing the Bridge, asail on one of our Waterways...or Channels - near Canal Street - was the Wendella Boat with tourists peering from their left to the right of Chicago's fabulous skyline. Has Kurt considered taking or placing THE BALL on a flat boat and sailing it down the Nile perhaps? Weather conditions would have to be 'just right,' but I couldn't help but think of these People with the Red Ball out on the Stern of that Boat. Now, that's a Statement, if I heard of any.
7. Lastly, for My Day 2 of 'Having a Ball with the Ball,' what will Target ever think (of) to top this PAD: Public Art Display?
Inquiring Minds want to know. If you have any rough & RED-dy Thoughts on this Query or any others fathomed in this Writing, feel free to email them to me at:
post them below under Comments or visit The REDBALL PROJECT @
and send it directly to them. Director Tony G. is filming a Documentary of the entire Chicago Stay and hopes you can make it to a (or many) of the upcoming RedBall Project Events that follow:
9-6-2008: The Field Museum
9-7-2008: Grant Park, Museum Campus Viaduct
9-10-2008: 17TH Church of Christ, Scientist at Wacker & Wabash
9-13-2008: Wicker Park at Damon & North Avenue
9-14-2008: North Av. Beach Chess Pavillion
9-19-2008: Hyde Park Art Center
9-20-2008: IIT's McCormick Tribune Campus Center
9-23-2008: 19 South LaSalle
9-24-2008: Federal Plaza
9-25-2008: Chicago Cultural Center
From somebody who likes the different; talking to new people and seeing reactions live and spontaneously, the RedBall Project has those elements and much more! It's GORF-recommended!
C U Ball-side!
ASK: Adrienne Sioux Koopersmith
GORF Werks Central
'Home of The Grin Reaper' - Chicago's First Green Mascot &
The Icon of the Green Movement
Chicago - chicaGORF - IL USA
Friday, September 5, 2008 - 2:37 PM CST