Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chatter between Mayoff & Koopersmith: The Ides of August: Log Line Dementia

FACEBOOK: August 15, 2010 - From 2 Aspiring Film Screen Writers:
STEVEN MAYOFF & ADRIENNE SIOUX KOOPERSMITH

COMMENTARY BY STEVEN MAYOFF

Distill My Beating Heart
By far the greatest challenge for writers is to describe a larger work such as a novel or feature-length screenplay in a synopsis. As anyone in the publishing world or film industry will tell you, it is an art form unto itself and takes almost as much work... as the thing it is describing. I have just uploaded my screenplay for Fatted Calf Blues on the Inktip web site where, for $60 (USD), it will sit for six months in hopes of attracting a producer or agent or manager.But before I could upload the script, I had to come up with a log line, one or two sentences that encapsulate the story in such a way as to make the prospective producer want to read the - Outline! That has to be no more than a page and must tell the story in more detail, but not so much as to confuse them, because the outline will become the essence of their "pitch" to backers.First off, I have to give props to my new pal, Patti Larsen, first for steering me toward Inktip and for giving me some valuable help on my l...


* * * * * * * * * *

ASK's Comment: Steven: Rather than a synopsis, Steven, try to chop your wonderful words down into a LogLine! I think I rather go thru root canal and childbirth both before I undergo that procedure. U can do it tho. That's why they made the delete key so convenient. Just keep a copy of the Original hidden somewhere back on your flash...so when the NY Times comes a courting & a'calling to interview U, U can 'schmaltz' it all on. Yup, that's what I do...

Cheers, ASK @ 5:33 PM CST

No comments: